I was asked by one of my coaches what The Characteristics of Our Team Members were and below are my points:
- Be a person of character. Always maintain ironclad honesty and integrity. Be consistent in everything you do.
- Operate authentically and give value.
- Lead by example
- Work as hard as your team. Be willing to get your hands dirty.
- Get things done. People like to be on a team that wins.
- Follow through on your commitments.
- Communicate transparently, directly, clearly and often.
- Listen intently and sincerely.
- Support your team rather than looking out for yourself.
- Demonstrate care and compassion.
- Defend your team, mainly when they are absent from the room.
- Give credit and accept blame.
- Take 100% responsibility for results, be they good, poor or average.
- Be generous.
- Resolve conflicts.
- Remove roadblocks.
- Be the best.
- Live the values.
Whenever a team member leaves, be it voluntarily or not, I always ask myself, what characteristics and values did I not thoroughly promote and train.